Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Think I should Mention the Good Days

Reading back over my posts, I think I need to take some extra time out to tell you a little more about the good parts. Sure, the bad parts are interesting and overwhelming and noisier than the good parts, but the good parts are really what it's all about, and there are plenty of them.

Today was another quiet day. (so far anyway) My five year old, Z, has been playing his heart out at Playstation and Guitar Hero since the wee hours of the morning. He has been calm and mostly compliant and easy to please today. He has also been in an electronic trance. Now I have never been one to let the TV or Game system babysit for me. I have played many hours of Candyland and Lucky Ducks in my day. But. It has been difficult here lately, and I must admit that today's gaming obsession came as something of a relief.

The best part, though, have been his brief breaks from the tube. The ones where he runs into my room as I hack away at the computer and throws his arms around my neck for hugs and scams a piece of gum from my nightstand on the way back out. In the midst of the chaos, I love these moments.

R is having a good day too. He has been in and out all afternoon with his friends, (despite the frigid weather) happy enough to torment his siblings only intermittently today and without his usual fervor. He too has been particularly lovey and easy to get along with today. I am grateful.

All of this uncharacteristically quiet behavior has left me able to do some of the things I like best on a Friday snow day. I have had time to catch up on all of my favorite blogs, to read a little and write a little and to do some virtual window shopping on Amazon. I have also had time to snuggle quietly in bed beside B and talk; not heavy problem solving kind of talk, but easy, smiling, still falling in love talk. I was able to spend the noon hour nestled in the crook of his arm, with my head on his chest and the soft stubble of his cheek against my forehead and nose, listening to the beat of my favorite song. (his heartbeat) This might sound cliche, I know, but how can I lay so near to someone I love so much and not feel like the luckiest woman in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment